Sunday 13 November 2011

Me vs. Japan : Recycling

Yeah it's that time again for another rant from me about Japan. Mostly I like it here but there are some things that do kinda piss me off. Today's rant is about recycling in Japan.


This is the crazy amount of rules we were given in our place for disposing of our rubbish. First off we got the 8 page document but after some complaints we were given the sheet. That was kinda good since half the dates on the original document were wrong so no wonder we were putting things out on the wrong day.



Now I don't mind recycling, even if it gross. If there's a little thing I can do to make a difference in the long run then fine I don't mind. I spent all of last year separating my food waste leading to a number of what I can only describe as the rankest experiences of my life. My issues with it in Japan are many layered. The first layer of which are public bins that seem like they are separated but in fact are NOT. Wtf why would you bother pretending to be sorting properly when your aren't? I also don't like the double standard in our neighbourhood. A lot of people complain about how we do things because we're the 'gaijin house' but tbh we're just following the same rules as them. We got complaints about putting the rubbish out the night before....I've seen my neighbours put there's out at noon the day before. Gah!


Also, I swear they don't even care that much about the environment. What I mean by that is, for all the recycling they still produce a shit load of packaging for no apparent reason. Take these make-up wipes as an example...why the double packaging? And everything comes like this. You get chocolate on a cardboard tray inside of a plastic wrapper inside of a cardboard box. It's so stupid I can't even.

(This rant is mainly due to it being my day to do the rubbish ¬¬ lol. More actually fun/interesting posts to come I promise)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...